1. K-State home
  2. »Physics
  3. »Services & Resources
  4. »Travel Policies & Procedures

Department of Physics

Travel Policies & Procedures

For a complete copy of the University's Travel Policies and Procedures Manual please see http://www.k-state.edu/policies/ppm/6410.html .

Departmental travel requires the submission of a Request for Out of State Travel submitted to Kim Elliott  in CW116 (e-mail kim94@phys.ksu.edu) approximately one to two weeks before traveling.  All travel, either in- or out-of-state, must be authorized by the agency head or designee prior to traveling.

State employees may purchase their airline ticket and have it paid for using a departmental charge card (see Kim Elliott to charge to the departmental purchasing card) or by calling Shorts Travel in Topeka, KS using the information below.

Toll free:  800-748-7400

Topeka Number:  785-368-6625

FAX #:  785-368-6627

E-mail:  travelks@shortstravel.com (not encouraged for emergency situations)

The most economical and advantageous form of travel is required.  If you opt to drive your personal car, an out-of-state cost comparison must be turned in with the reimbursement form.  You need to show that it was less expensive to drive than to fly to your destination by submitting a copy of the airline itinerary with the cost of the flight.  You will be reimbursed for the cheaper of these two amounts.

Car Rental

Kansas State University has a contract with Hertz.  For IN-STATE travel you must use "Hertz" (if you are using a rental car other then a University Motor Pool Vehicle)  An example would be traveling between Manhattan and KCI Airport.  you wish to make reservation by internet contact Kim (532-1601) for the Department's access number.

Employees are reimbursed for the rental of a special conveyance (subway, cab, etc.) by submitting the official receipt and justification for the rental or charter with the travel claim form.  Personal accident insurance; (PAI), personnel effects insurance (PEI), and other supplemental liability insurance are considered personal expenses and ARE NOT REIMBURSABLE.  However, additional costs incurred by requesting a Collision Damage Waiver or Loss Damage Waiver at the time of signing the rental contract are reimbursable.

University Motor Pool Vehicle Use

For more information on the University' Motor Pool Vehicles please see  http://www.k-state.edu/policies/ppm/6400/6430.html.

Please contact Kim if you would like to reserve a state vehicle for official KSU business.  She can see about reserving the vehicle and complete the proper forms.

Lodging Expense Reimbursement

Employees may be reimbursed for actual lodging expenses incurred, including tips to hotels porters, bellhops, doormen, and maids.  The total amount for lodging and tips may not exceed the established lodging expense limitations (set by the State of KS).  The rate will vary depending on the city (see Kim for a rate figure)

NOTE:  The official receipt from the lodging establishment must be submitted with the employee's travel claim form for reimbursement.  Lodging expense reimbursement is limited to the lodging expense incurred at the point of official state business.  Lodging expenses incurred enroute are not reimbursable.


Reimbursement for State Travel

To be reimbursed for your departmental travel, all receipts (excluding receipts for meals) must be submitted within 30 days of travel to Kim Elliott in CW-116A.  Meals are reimbursed at a state established quarter day rate.  Credit card slips are not considered a receipt.

If you have further questions related to traveling, please contact Kim Elliott at 532-1601 or e-mail her at kim94@phys.ksu.edu.