1. K-State home
  2. »Physics
  3. »Services & Resources
  4. »Payroll & Health Insurance

Department of Physics

Payroll & Health Insurance

What paperwork will I need to complete to be placed on the payroll?

You will fill out an information sheet for the Office Manager; this will include such things as your name, address, date of birth, etc.  You will need to bring identification with you to prove that you are legally allowed to work on campus.  This must include a passport and copy of your I-94 or I-20 as well as an on campus work permit if you are a non-resident alien.  You will also be required to have a social security card.  Social Security cards can not be issued until you arrive at KSU and have obtained an on campus work permit.  At that time you proceed to the Social Security Administration office and apply for a social security number.  This process usually takes two weeks before you obtain the card.  If you are an American Citizen, a valid social security card and driver's license are allowable forms of identification.  Always the social security card is needed  After all of these forms are obtained and presented to the Office Manager the information will be placed on several forms and you will need to sign all forms.  At this time the paperwork is processed by the University Human Resources office and the process to obtain your first payroll check has begun.

When will I be paid and how often?

Usually you receive your first payroll check about 4 weeks after your initial date of employment.  We are paid on a "bi-weekly" (every 2 week) basis.  A sample payroll period would be August 18  -  August 31, 2013 and this period would be paid on September 13, 2013.  If you worked any part of that payroll period you will be paid for the number of days you were on the payroll.

Should I enroll in Electronic Deposit for my payroll checks?

Yes, this is the only option. 

May I change banks or account numbers at anytime?

Yes, although it is strongly advised that you not close any old accounts until you have seen at least one payroll check deposited into the new account.  You will need to complete a new Authorization for Direct Deposit of Employee Pay and send it to the Division of Human Resources, 103 Edwards Hall. The change will be effective for the next available pay period.

What benefits am I entitled to as a full time employee?

You may view a complete list of benefits at:  http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/.

How will I access the employee self-service information?

Kansas State Employee Self Service

When will my Health Insurance become effective?

If you are an employee that is appointed for more than 50% time you are entitled to health insurance as long as your appointment will be for more than 90 days. You have 31 days after the date you are hired or become eligible to enroll in your choice of coverage. Your coverage will become effective on the first day of the month after the completion of a 30-day waiting period. If you do not enroll by the deadline, you will not be eligible to enroll until the next open enrollment period.  The cost of your health insurance will vary depending on if you are insuring just yourself, yourself and a family.  More information is available at http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/health.htm.

If you are a Graduate Research or Graduate Teaching Assistant you are eligible to apply for health insurance coverage upon your enrollment at KSU and upon your actual employment in one of those capacities.  More information is available at http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/gta.html.