Ph.D. University of Maine, 2007
Physics Education Research
- Improving and extending theoretical bases for physics education research
- Investigating the interplay between physics and mathematics understanding
- Learning and forgetting in introductory physics classes
- Developmental trends for pre-service physicists
- Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods education research
- National Science Foundation
Recent Selected Publications
P.W. Irving and E.C. Sayre (2016). Developing physics identity. Physics Today, 69(5), 46.
A.M. Madsen, S.B. McKagan, M."S." Martinuk, A.Bell, and E.C. Sayre (2016). Research-based assessment affordances and constraints: Perceptions of physics faculty. Physical Review Special Topics, 12(1), 010115.
P.W. Irving and E.C. Sayre. (2015). Becoming a physicist: The roles of research, mindsets, and milestones in upper-division student perceptions. Physical Review Special Topics, 11, 020120.
E.C. Sayre and P.W. Irving. (2015). Brief, embedded, spontaneous metacognitive talk indicates thinking like a physicist. Physical Review Special Topics, 11, 020121.
A. Madsen, S.B. McKagan, and E.C. Sayre (2015). How physics instruction impacts students’ beliefs about learning physics: A meta-analysis of 24 studies. Physical Review Special Topics, 11, 010115.