Instructor: Dr. Amit Chakrabarti, CW 213, Tel: 532-1625.
1. One airplane travels due north at 300km/h while another one travels
due south at 300 km/h. Are their speeds the same ? Are their velocities
the same ? Explain.
2. Can an automobile with a velocity toward the north have an acceleration toward the south ? Explain.
3. You are driving north on a highway. Then, without changing speed, you round a curve and drive east. (a) Does your velocity change ? (b) Do you accelerate ? Explain.
4. Starting from rest, one car accelerates to a speed of 50 km/h, and another car accelerates to a speed of 60 km/h. Can you say which car underwent the greater acceleration ? Why or why not ?
5. (a) Can an object be moving when its acceleration is zero ? If so, give an example. (b) Can an object be accelerating when its speed is zero ? If so, give an example.
6. What happens to the acceleration of a ball in free fall if its mass is doubled ?
7. Two balls have the same size but are made from different materials: one from rubber and the other from iron. How do their acceleration compare in free fall ?
8. How (if at all) does the acceleration of a ball thrown upward differ from one that is dropped ?